Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Of Butterflies and Anchors

Isn't it wonderful how God knows just what we need to hear when we need to hear it?

Like when you get in your car and turn on the radio and the perfect song is playing...


Or when a friend shares a Bible verse that just goes straight to your heart...


I am constantly in awe of how much my God loves and knows me. I shouldn't continue to be surprised, but I'm human, and I put my human boundaries on God, and then am surprised when He breaks through.

Last night He used a wonderful, Godly woman to speak to me, and through her, He spoke to me on so many levels!

Here are a couple of the things He said through her to encourage me:

1. I tell God the desires of my heart, like He doesn't already know. I tell him I desire to be married, when He's the one who gave me that desire in the first place! I don't need to clue God in to what's going on in my life and heart. He knows. So often we get it backwards and think that we're driving the car and inviting God along for the ride, when actually He's the one driving and picking us up along the way, wondering when we'll finally get a clue. I need to remember who's driving this vehicle! It's sure not me! She share Psalm 27:14 with me, "Wait for the Lord, be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!" Yes, He gave me these desires, and He will complete His work in me in His time. Until then, I need to take courage! Pretty sure this is going to become my theme verse!

2. There are generally two kinds of people: butterflies and anchors. The butterflies are the people who are seen more, flitting and flying here and there and everywhere, called from one place to the next. The anchors are more behind the scenes, the solid, ground force for the butterfly to come home to. Both types of people are made by God, lovely creations, and each is necessary to the other. I am an anchor, and I have a hard time accepting that. I talk myself in circles sometimes, thinking that since I love my home town and love my comfort zone, that I need to leave in order to grow. I tell myself that I need to spread my wings, leave the nest, make my own path in the world, and I can only do that by leaving home, and that it's necessary. And while yes it's good to grow and stretch and put yourself out of your comfort zone at times, God has blessed me, and made it clear that my place is right where I am right now. He blessed me with a job, and with a love of my town and desire to help it grow. It's not wrong for me to want to stay here. God can grow me just as much here and He can and did in Spain. There are plenty of ways to get out of my comfort zone in my own community, and God can do amazing things right here in this place. It's okay that I'm an anchor, that I like stability and roots. If we were all butterflies there would be no roots, no home.If we were all anchors there would be no new discoveries or adventures. The one needs the other, and the world needs both.

So it's kind of a random mish-mash of thoughts and ponderings tonight, but it's where my heart is, and I wanted to share. God works in mysterious ways, and in not so mysterious ways too. He used a friend to speak His truth to me.
I saw God tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment