Sunday, June 12, 2011

Home Sweet Camp

After 24 hours of traveling, I am officially in Spain! Traveling wasn’t bad, until our last flight from New York City to Spain….we didn’t end up boarding until we were scheduled to take off, and then we sat on the runway for two hours before we were able to take off because of thunder and lightning and we were 30th in line for takeoff….so by the time we landed in Málaga, Anna and I had spent 8 hours on that plane…urgh….

But now we’re here and it’s amazing! The camp is beautiful. We’re in a valley with mountains all around us, literally on our doorstep. They aren’t high enough to have snow on them so they’re just covered with trees, olive orchards, and cows. I can hear their cowbells ringing through my window as they wander the hills around us. It’s amazing.

The weather is amazing as well. It probably doesn’t get any hotter than 80 during the day at this point, and there’s a cool breeze off the Mediterranean that keeps you from really breaking a sweat. It’s been sunny so far, and there are no mosquitoes! Alleluia! There are a lot of flies but I’ll take them over mosquitoes ANY day J

I live in a little house a ways a bit from the camp with Anna and a girl named Kimberly from Wisconsin.

She’s been in Spain since January so her Spanish puts me to shame! I knew I wasn’t fluent, but being around all this Spanish makes me feel slightly stupid some times. It’s just going to take time, and already I’m getting better than I was yesterday. What Spanish I have is coming more easily, I don’t have to think about it quite as hard, but it’s going to be a while before I can converse without thinking.

We’ve started learning our chores and duties around camp, which includes setting up and cleaning up before and after every meal for the campers, cleaning the bathrooms, emptying trash cans around camp, and running the little candy store that’s open for an hour a day when there’s a camp. And that’s crazy, but a lot of fun! It’s a great way to practice speaking and learning to understand the Spaniards. It’s really hard to understand them because they leave off the ends of a lot of their words and lisp some of the “s” sounds….so that makes it really hard to understand them, plus they speak incredibly fast! But hopefully I’ll get there!

There’s just so much to learn, I can’t believe I’m going to be here for two months! It’s going to go so fast, I know, and I can’t wait to see what God wants to teach me while I’m here!

Internet is kind of spotty here so I’m not sure how often I’ll be able to post. Apparently their internet is powered off of some kind of wind turbine up on the mountain, and if there’s not wind for three-ish days in a row it will die and ergo no internet. But I’ll keep you updated as best I can! Keep tuning in for more posts and pictures!


No comments:

Post a Comment