Monday, January 17, 2011

Leaps...


Leaps of joy
Leaps and bounds
Leaps of faith
Leaps can be used in numerous contexts...but the last one is what I'll be working on in the months to come....and hopefully the first two will be products of this leap of faith.
As stated in previous posts, I don't do well with change.
I don't do well with bravery.
But I am taking the reins in my teeth and am applying to go to Spain for three months this summer for mission work with Springs of Life camp. My church supports Glenn and Sue Ashcraft who run the camp and they came to my church a couple of weeks ago to give a progress report of sorts. I felt a tugging at my heart (The Holy Spirit), and a tugging on my arm (my mom) and I talked with Glenn after the service about the possibility of joining him and Sue that summer. We exchanged contact information and the week that followed for me was....
confusing...
terrifying....
exciting....
lacking in sleep....
I tossed the idea back and forth, I prayed, I stayed up at night, unable to sleep because of the ideas spinning in my head.
Last night, after a week of praying, talking with friends and family, and tossing and turning, I decided to take the leap. I am applying to work with them for three months. Nothing is certain yet, I have to officially apply through Avant ministries and they'll either approve me or
tell me I'm crazy!
If however, they approve me, I'll start a process that I have no idea how to start.
Asking for references.
Writing support letters.
Booking flights.
Trying not to pass out from the terror of being away from home,
across the ocean for three months.
The idea of being away excites and terrifies me all at the same time, and I know that I can do nothing but grow from this experience, no matter how it turns out.
I have no idea where close to $5000 is going to come from.
But if God wants me to go He will provide.
I have no idea where the courage to travel across the world by myself will come from, except that it will have to come from God.
If this is God's will for me, He will provide.
And then there's that phrase "God's will."
How do I know this is God's will?
His will for His people is to go out into the world and be representatives of His love.
As a very wise friend told me, you would actually have to be called not to go,
because we are all called to go.
So begins an adventure.

1 comment:

  1. i just finally read this--- you are going to get rocked.... in a really good way. :) it is going to be terrifying and overwhleming and there will be moments that you think -- what was i thinking?? but these are your brave stories... these are the days that what you know becomes what you live. enjoy the freefall. there are years where God teaches you things by keeping you still and safe and quiet and there are years he gently pushes us out because He wants to teach us to fly. i am soooo excited for you!! :)

    ReplyDelete