Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Mourning What Matters

Today America is mourning the loss of a man. He was talented, he was entertaining, he contributed to our culture. It is incredibly sad that he reached a point in his life where he felt he had no other options. And so Americans post videos and pictures and moving tributes, shedding tears for someone that most of them have never met.

Meanwhile, where are the tears shed or the tributes written for the hundreds of women and children being slaughtered in Iraq? Where is their memorial service, their touching video or slideshow in remembrance of their lives? Will no one take a moment to mourn for the needless, senseless, horrific loss of innocent life?

"Oh, but wait!" you say. "I posted on Twitter about that social justice issue and used the corresponding hashtag! I care!" If that's all the "care" you can muster, then it's no wonder atrocities like the mass murders in Iraq continue.

We have gotten lazy. In a world where information is literally at our fingertips 24/7, we've become inundated with viral cat videos and the latest Buzzfeed quiz. And while we can spare ten minutes to take a quiz about which vegetable we would be if we were produce, we can't be bothered to get educated on the genocides happening around the world, the corruption, the terror.

And believe me, I get it, this stuff is depressing. Watching the news for ten minutes is enough to put a damper on anyone's mood. And so you say, "It's depressing. And I can't do anything about the terrorists in Iraq anyway. My being informed doesn't save the lives of Christians being murdered for their beliefs." If being informed isn't going to help people, then I can guarantee you that watching yet another cover of a song from Frozen isn't going to help either.

I'm not here to take a political stance. I don't mean to be a downer. I'm not even here to place a guilt trip. It just breaks my heart that men, women, and children, who have done nothing wrong but are just living their lives, are being slaughtered, and we can't be bothered to really, truly care. But if a Hollywood legend dies then stop the presses! If there is to be any hope for change, we have to start with educating ourselves. I try to stay informed, and many times still feel helpless to do anything about the suffering happening around us.

And yet when it seems there's nothing else I can do, I am reminded that we are not helpless. In fact, we have one of the greatest tools in existence at our disposal.

Prayer.

I am reminded that we serve a sovereign God, a God who holds the world in His hands, who loves and cherishes His people. I cannot reach out across the globe and draw those in danger into my home. But God can draw them to His side. And so I pray. Because I'm informed, I know who to pray for and how to pray for them.

So this week I encourage you to brace yourself, and take some time to read. Find reputable sources (that means NOT Facebook or Twitter) and learn about the terrible, terrible things happening in the Middle East. And then pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment