Wednesday, July 14, 2010

tools

I was thinking this evening, after having a long (and much needed) talk with a friend, about how amazing it is that God uses us to implement His will and fulfill His plans. It had been kind of a rough day for me, actually a rough couple of days, and there were some things that I needed to hear. God used my friend to tell me these things.
People wonder why God doesn't speak to us anymore the way He did in the Old Testament, just by speaking to them, or coming in dreams etc. I've been reading in Joshua and Judges how Moses and Joshua often talked with God, and I think how amazing that must have been. But that's not necessary anymore. Because of His gift of the Holy Spirit, we have something better! He is with us all the time, and He uses those around us to get our attention, when we're maybe being a bit thick-skulled. He spoke through my friend, and while she may not even know that what she said had that much of an impact, it is clear to me that God gave her those words to speak.
He knows my every need.
Isn't it amazing, that the God of the universe, Creator of heaven and earth, giver of life, the reason we move on this earth, uses us, flawed people, to fulfill His plans? And maybe it's something huge like leading the Israelites out of Egypt, but maybe it's something small, like having a heart-to-heart with a friend. God can, does and will use us, and that is so humbling to me! I am of no value in comparison to my God.
I am scum...
I am lower than scum...
...and yet....
God uses me, scum that I am, to fulfill His greater purpose! I am a tool in His hand!
How incredible!
How humbling.
I saw God in my friend today.

No comments:

Post a Comment